Brown Soda Bread

My (Leeann’s) recent trip to Ireland coupled with cooler nights that make me want to use my oven have resulted in a quest to perfect a vital part of Irish cuisine – soda bread.

The first recipe I tried (from a ’96 issue of Bon Appétit via Epicurious.com) is a basic brown soda bread very similar to the fare served in cafes, restaurants and pubs I visited throughout my trip. Great with your favourite preserves or just toasted with butter, one of the benefits of most soda breads is that little to no rising and/or kneading is required – making preparation a breeze.


1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons toasted wheat bran (I couldn’t find this so just doubled the wheat germ – turned out fine insofar as I could tell!)
3 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
2 tablespoons old-fashioned oats
2 tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 cups (about) buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425°F. Butter 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Combine first 8 ingredients in large bowl; mix well. Add butter; rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles fine meal. Stir in enough buttermilk to form soft dough. Transfer dough to prepared loaf pan. Bake until bread is dark brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Turn bread out onto rack. Turn right side up and cool on rack.

Photo credit: The talented Emily A.

No comments: